Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Eating better and getting healthier!

My 2nd time cooking Almond chicken it was awesome!
Almond Chicken - I saw this recipe on Dr.OZ http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/almond-crusted-chicken-sweet-potatoes-and-asparagus
This is the original recipe from DR. Oz website. I did it with the asparagus the first time, I don't think I roasted that part long enough but everything else was great!!!
Ingredients
Serves 2


1/2 cup whole almonds, finely chopped
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, preferably pasture raised
1/2 lb fresh asparagus with the ends trimmed
1 large sweet potato
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 450° F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a small food processor, add the whole almonds and chop fine. Lay a piece of parchment on a flat surface. Sprinkle chopped almonds on top of parchment. Lay chicken on parchment paper. Coat each piece of chicken with the mustard and dredge in the almonds. Place coated chicken breasts on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Lay asparagus next to the chicken breasts. Slice the sweet potato into thin circles and lay next to asparagus. Lightly spray chicken, potatoes and asparagus with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cookie sheet in the oven. Bake for 10-13 minutes until chicken feels firm to the touch and is cooked through.

Recipe courtesy of Laurie Erickson


These are pictures of my second Almond chicken venture both were good but I learned that I need a food processor for those almonds.. Hammer and ziplock bag in a kitchen towel worked well. I love the taste of the mustard too I ran out of almonds and just dipped a couple of pieces in the mustard and cooked them like that.

I decided to make this one with fresh spinach and some tomatoes for a salad. I use fat free french my kids like ranch on theirs.. I also roasted the baby carrots right along with the sweet potatoes.

Add caption


I have a family of 5 so I cooked a LOT more chicken took up large cookie sheet alone and then did the sweet potatoes and baby carrots on another cookie sheet. I sprayed them with butter flavored cooking spray it gives them a little of buttery flavor and they look better.. I just didn't have any olive oil left.

I am determined to get healthy and will be posted other recipes and how they tasted soon.
I have lost only 5 lbs so far but just really kicked into high gear since Easter will see how it goes!!

My rating for this Almond chicken is an A++ I will be cooking it again really soon my entire family loves it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment